[Freedombox-discuss] A software architecture for the FreedomBox

Ing. Otto Marroquin otto at celera.net
Wed Apr 13 17:59:09 UTC 2011

On 04/13/2011 09:06 AM, Rob van der Hoeven wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This is my first message on this list so let me introduce myself.
> I'm Rob van der Hoeven, a developer from The Netherlands that want a
> FreedomBox for myself (and everyone else of course!). At the moment i'm
> building my own FreedomBox and like to share my work/experience with
> other FreedomBox enthusiasts. For this i created a blog
> (http://freedomboxblog.nl/) to document the building of my own
> FreedomBox.
>
> One of the first things you have to do when building a system like the
> FreedomBox is figure out the software architecture. I have come up with
> an interesting architecture that is made of Linux Containers (Virtual
> Machines). Maybe this is already discussed on this list (i have joined
> only recently). If you are interested you can read about it on:

These are very interesting ideas.... I see it as a "Private Cloud"
sooner than later this vm's will communicate among them and this
could lead to a inter-vm communication mechanism.

I agree with Jonas that this architecture *will* consume more memory
than a *real* machine.

I think your idea could be some kind of "mini-[Private Cloud] in a box"
that could
be useful for a small company.

Maybe you can complement your ideas with the OpenStack project...