[Freedombox-discuss] A software architecture for the FreedomBox

Rob van der Hoeven robvanderhoeven at ziggo.nl
Thu Apr 14 12:12:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 16:24 -0500, Charles N Wyble wrote:
> On 4/13/2011 10:06 AM, Rob van der Hoeven wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > This is my first message on this list so let me introduce myself.
> > I'm Rob van der Hoeven, a developer from The Netherlands that want a
> > FreedomBox for myself (and everyone else of course!). At the moment i'm
> > building my own FreedomBox and like to share my work/experience with
> > other FreedomBox enthusiasts. For this i created a blog
> > (http://freedomboxblog.nl/) to document the building of my own
> > FreedomBox.
>
> Welcome! It's good to have another architect/hands on guy here. :)
> I like the blog. Good architecture. I recently posted to the list with
> my vision of what the freedombox software stack looks like in my opinion.
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-April/001305.html
>
> Would love to get some feedback on the idea.

Hi Charles,

I saw you did a lot of work. Impressive! I think it will be very
difficult to make ONE software stack for the FreedomBox. That's one the
reasons i made my design modular. Users can install what they want/need.
If their hardware is less capable they can install only a small subset
of the modules. My design is more App - like.

Rob.