[Freedombox-discuss] Free hardware for the FreedomBox software

Rob van der Hoeven robvanderhoeven at ziggo.nl
Fri Apr 15 12:53:37 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

Every time you read an article about the FreedomBox it mentions that the
hardware is very cheap and will become even cheaper in the future. This
emphasis on cheap hardware worries me. After all, the FreedomBox is a
server that must run reliably 24/7 for years. Cheap and server are
incompatible. If you ask the box builders to build something that is
cheap you get what you ask for, but you won’t get a server.

I think the FreedomBox movement must be very careful about the
recommended hardware. Devices that are crap are a danger to the
reputation of the FreedomBox. Once the FreedomBox gets a bad reputation
it’s over and out.

I have written an article about this on my blog which arguments that the
FreedomBox must not use (the current) Plug Computers, but more reliable
devices.

see

http://freedomboxblog.nl/free-hardware-for-the-freedombox-software/

Rob.