[Freedombox-discuss] T-shirt / Logo idea

Joshua Spodek joshuaspodek at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 16:50:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 18:08 +0000,
freedombox-discuss-request at lists.alioth.debian.org wrote:
> T-Shirt Designs
> ---------------
>
> One of the things we offered Kickstarter donors was a T-shirt. We
> are thus soliciting T-shirt designs. The theme of the shirt is
> Community Angels. It would be good to involve our current logo
> http://freedomboxfoundation.org/images/freedombox_large.png. Sorry,
> we don't have a bigger version of that.
>
> The chosen design will be printed on t-shirts that we will give to
> donors. Of course, if your design is chosen, we will cover you in
> thanks
> and make sure you get a shirt too. I will also buy you a beer next
> time
> we meet.
>
> Send designs in a free file format to join at freedomboxfoundation.org
> before April 15. I'd like vector graphics, but since the existing logo
> is PNG, I recognize that will be difficult.

A designer friend and I were talking about logo designs. The challenge
is representing freedom, since boxes are easy enough. The gnu in the
current works for people in the free software community but not outside
it. Eagles work in the U.S., but may have opposing connotations
elsewhere.

We focused on the ideas of community, growth, friendliness, and mesh
computing and hit on the idea of flowers with boxes as the flower.
Flowers are friendly and colorful. They grow as individual plants and as
fields of them. Their motion could be represented by the waves of a
network connected symbol, implying connectivity and community.

I put some simple examples at
http://joshuaspodek.com/freedombox-logo-ideas. They aren't supposed to
be the final word, just starting points for discussion.

If the individual flower idea resonates, we can also create images of
fields of colorful Freedombox flowers. Each can have its own color and
variety (rose-like, tulip-like, etc) representing its individuality.

A field of Freedombox flowers is like a mesh of computers, with messages
going from peer to peer, represented by the network-connected waves. It
could be animated with new ones popping up all the time.

I’d love feedback on the design.