[Freedombox-discuss] A software architecture for the FreedomBox

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Mon Apr 18 19:25:31 UTC 2011

On 4/18/2011 11:49 AM, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:06:46 -0500, Charles N Wyble<charles at knownelement.com>  wrote:
> This is exactly the experience that Debian already provides.  All
> software is packaged, packages can be installed and removed as desired,
> and the packaging includes strong dependency management.  And shared
> libraries are versioned and multiple versions can be installed at once
> if needed, so different daemons can easily be updated at different times
> without the need for virtualized containers.

Oh I know. I use debian each and every day and love it's package
management system. It's great.
Software center in Ubuntu brings the app store interface.

> I'd suggest anyone working on Freedombox who doesn't already understand
> how Debian's packaging system works spend some time learning about it so
> we don't end up reinventing things that already exist...

No desire for re invention. I sent another e-mail where I detailed using
debian packages
to implement the vision. :) It's in the archives at
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-April/001305.html

> With respect to an "app store" interface, a number of projects over the
> years have put different user interfaces on how Debian packages are
> selected.  The first I can recall that used an app store / shopping cart
> metaphor backed up by web infrastructure was Lindows, which got renamed
> and then acquired by Xandros if I recall correctly.

Right.

> To make real progress towards delivering a reference implementation, we
> need to focus attention on mapping feature desires to package names, and
> the generation of wiki-documented recipes for configuring said packages.

Already well underway. See my e-mail linked above.

> That's the information we need to get together now, regardless of what
> the ultimate configuration user interface looks like.

Yep. Agree 100% See
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-April/001305.html

for my vision on that.