[Freedombox-discuss] Roadmap / Wishlists

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Apr 19 12:32:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 08:10:13AM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 04/18/2011 11:08 PM, John Gilmore wrote:
> > The short answer is that it doesn't work at all on flash drives.
> > Researchers tried it, disassembled the drives, and found their
> > 'erased' data sitting right there in the flash chips.
>
> Could you provide a link to this study?  I believe some SSD devices do
> offer the ATA Secure Erase command these days.  It would be good to have
> a pointer to a concrete demonstration that this is unreliable, if that's
> the case.

E.g. Intel 320 SSD series supports AES default and claims to
throw away the key if asked nicely.

http://newsroom.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/38-4323/Intel_SSD_320_Series_Data_Security_Features_Technology_Brief.pdf

Encrypted root filesystem is always an option, but a
bitch, particularly for headless machines.