[Freedombox-discuss] Secure erasure of flash drives - NOT!

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Tue Apr 19 17:14:47 UTC 2011

> Could you provide a link to this study?  I believe some SSD devices do
> offer the ATA Secure Erase command these days.  It would be good to have
> a pointer to a concrete demonstration that this is unreliable, if that's
> the case.

Sure!  Best source was a talk at the 2010 USENIX FAST (File and
Storage Technologies) conference.  From this link you can get the
abstract, full paper, and the video of their presentation:

  http://www.usenix.org/events/fast11/tech/tech.html#Wei

Here are the slides for the presentation:

  http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/users/m3wei/assets/pdf/FMS-2010-Secure-Erase.pdf

They tried 14 different popular ways to securely erase individual
files.  All failed, leaving large parts of the data accessible in the
flash chips!

Some SSD drives supported the whole-drive secure erase command; some
didn't; and some that did were buggy and didn't actually erase
everything.  One that didn't support it, claimed support but was
a no-op!

The problem is much worse on USB flash drives, because there isn't
even a Secure Erase command defined to erase the entire drive.  (Let
alone any command to securely erase a portion of the drive, such as a
single file.)

Here's contact info for the professor involved:

  Dr. Steven Swanson  <swanson at cs.ucsd.edu>
  Assistant Professor
  Computer Science & Engineering
  University of California, San Diego