[Freedombox-discuss] On small programs

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Apr 20 13:27:33 UTC 2011

On 11-04-20 at 12:07pm, comotion at krutt.org wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:59:22 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> >On 11-04-20 at 11:18am, Gianluca Moro wrote:
> >>reading this thread I happened to think about Android.
> >
> >>Just a (perhaps mad) idea :-)
> >
> >Not mad, but different from the scope of FreedomBox.
> >
> >FreedomBox is not about inventing new ways to package software.
>
> >FreedomBox is about putting together existing software packages to
> >provide freedom-enabling technologies for non-technical users.
>
> .. and those freedom-enabling technologies could for sure run on the
> android as well. In fact they should and we should plan for it.

We should make FreedomBox!

Sure we then also help pave the way for FreedomPhone and FreedomCloud.
But that is not our aim, so I disagree that we "should" do that - it is
just an added bonus.

Just as many years of Skolelinux work on automating most possible of a
school installation helped pave the way for FreedomBox - without that
project having as goal to support freedom fighters.

Regards,