[Freedombox-discuss] Packaging or a distribution?

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Sat Apr 23 00:32:58 UTC 2011

On 4/22/2011 7:32 PM, Spectral Emanation wrote:
> Is Freedombox going to be its own distribution with Debian upstream,
> or are the Freedombox applications going to be provided as
> metapackages in the regular Debian repositories?

I'm working on producing metapackages in the regular Debian
repositories. See
http://blog.knownelement.com/2011/04/14/my-roadmap-for-the-emergent-technology-initiative/
for more details on what I'm hacking on.

> Since our configuration files are sometimes going to be different from
> out of the box Debian, how is this handled by the package manager if
> this is done via metapackage?

Not sure. I'm guessing we would be targeting brand new debian base
installs. So no conflicts. Just throw it in an LXC container :)

> BTW, This is my first post to the list, and I hope to be a productive
> member of this project. If I flood the list, just tell me to shut up.

No no. Not at all. Welcome to the discussion!