[Freedombox-discuss] Launch of an Open Wireless Movement in the near future?

Ing. Otto Marroquin otto at celera.net
Thu Apr 28 23:04:07 UTC 2011

On 04/28/2011 03:30 PM, Mauricio Pasquier Juan wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Nicolás Reynolds<fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar>  wrote:
>
>> El 28/04/11 05:10, Thomas Ruddy dijo:
>>
>>> What do we think of this "Call to action"?  Wouldn't a network of
>>> Freedomboxes be better?  Or are the purposes different enough to justify
>>> two different movements?
>>>
>>> [The Electronic Frontier Foundation] "EFF will be working with other
>>> organizations to launch an Open Wireless Movement in the near future",
>>> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/04/open-wireless-movement
>>>
>> Besides this one, there're lots of free wireless networks around the
>> globe. Here in Buenos Aires we have BuenosAiresLibre[0].
>>
>> I think (the good) FB is a valuable addition to this communitary networks,
>> since public services is what usually are missing.
>>
> so true!

I think the focus  (of EFF) of this movement is more ample than a free
wireless mesh.

They pretend to go farther than using "standard" "legal" equipment.
This initiative
aims at a legal and technology framework.   EFF wants that you can use
the right to use
the free wireless bands to be able to intercommunicate without using the
"proprietary"
networks ...