[Freedombox-discuss] Introducing myself and masters thesis.

Jo Segaert josegaert at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 23:12:03 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,
In comparison with the many Linux-guru's I suspect present in this list I'm
just a newbie. I've had my introduction to Linux 2 and a half years ago and
have thought myself since. The last 6 months I've been playing around with
OpenWrt (a lot) and this gave me the feeling that I began understanding more
and more of the inner workings of the system. Still, I'm not the empowered
linux-junk that I should be.

Then, in February this year, I was present on the day that Eben gave his
talk at Fosdem (Brussels) and so he showed me the importance of his project.
I'm a student electrical engineering - ICT and next year will be my master
year. This brings me the master thesis. We've got many subjects from which
we can choose from, but almost none of them give something to the community.

However, we can also propose subjects and I want to do something useful
while doing my thesis. So, I was wondering if it should be feasible
making/helping to build the Freedombox or a part of it as a masters thesis.
The problem with this is that it is a subject so vast and very rapidly
changing. I don't see how to pinpoint something thesis-worthy and develop
that during the coming summer and next school year. Also, even if this
subject should get accepted I will be very much on my own.
So before I choose between the conventional way or throw myself into the
wild, what are your thoughts on that?
Thanks!