[Freedombox-discuss] assigned numbers without ICANN

Thomas Lord lord at emf.net
Fri Apr 29 16:58:54 UTC 2011

Jonas, thanks for this:

> I strongly recommend to work on this independently from the FreedomBox
> project.

> I don't mean "go away - you are disturbing this list" but rather that no
> technology should be unique to FreedomBoxes - so I suggest to either
> remove the term "Freedomboxes" from your paper or at least very clearly
> state it as _example_ use of the proposed protocol, and then goout aim
> more widely with it - e.g. make it a RFC.

I can write a paper without "FreedomBox" but this paper
("note", really,  at best :-)  is for
a FreedomBox audience so I don't mind framing it that way.

I generally agree that the overlay network I'm spelling out
is also a "stand alone" set of protocols and implementations.
That's a correct and important point that you raise.
I'm glad you said that instead of me having to later
explain it.

I'm glad you don't mean "go away - you are disturbing the list"
because I want to eventually persuade people that a handful
of protocols, like this overlay network, ought to constitute
the definition of "user space" for FreedomBox "apps".  That is,
if you want to write a new server-side program to share with
freedombox users, one very portable way to do it is to have
it not use any native operating system features directly -- but
rather be written for a virtual operating system with primitives
for addressing the overlay network and a few basic (high level,
abstract) services.

Meanwhile, I put the assigned names and numbers thing
out there to:

  a) raise the notion of engineering for the socio-economic
     situation of "admins" and "users"

  b) have a reference point so I can talk about
     "routing numbers" and "overlay hostnames" in the
     future and just cite rather than re-explain.

  c) see what useful feedback I might get at this point.

I think I'm probably going to be able to finish a quick note
about how routing works today.

Thanks,
-t