[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox Webserver

Rob van der Hoeven robvanderhoeven at ziggo.nl
Wed Aug 3 08:53:59 UTC 2011

Why choose one webserver as the official FreedomBox webserver? In my
opinion this would make things more complex than needed. On my
FreedomBox i have both Nginx and Apache running. Each for a different
functionality. I use Apache for running Wordpress blogs, Nginx is used
as a reverse proxy.

My FreedomBox design is driven by functional requirements. I simply
choose the programs that are best for a particular function. For
example: Apache is the natural habitat of Wordpress. Plug-ins might
expect (depend on) an Apache environment so Apache is the safe choice.

I think the end-user thinks in terms of functionality, example: I want a
Wordpress blog, I want to access my data over the internet, I want
to .... Normal (non geek) users will never choose a web server, all they
want is functions.

The designers of the FreedomBox should not do Platform Based Design
(choose one particular component and then try to do everything with this
component: example - Http traffic must be handled by Apache). Platform
Based Design will not work for the FreedomBox.

If you want to get started then maybe my design is interesting. It is a
Component Based Design that supports virtual hosting so you can share
your FreedomBox with family and friends if you want to. Things are
running smoothly for months now and all is documented on my blog:

http://freedomboxblog.nl

(The blog is of course hosted on my own FreedomBox)

Cheers,
Rob van der Hoeven