[Freedombox-discuss] Distributed Naming BOF Questions

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Aug 5 15:22:34 UTC 2011

On 08/05/2011 05:17 AM, mirsal wrote:
> I'd like to share some bits of my experience as a darknet router
> operator, as it may be useful to those doing freedombox-related research
> on that area.

Thanks, mirsal, these are really useful pointers!

> Anyway, I know about 3 IP based darknets in operation today (two of
> which having implemented a simple way of managing naming in a
> decentralized way):

 [...]

> Feel free to ask me more about how this approach to naming works in
> practice, or about other subjects relative to darknets (governance,
> routing, etc.)

Since we're talking about resistance to malicious adversaries,
centralized pressure, etc, i'm curious about the governance models of
the various implementations.

So some basic questions about these systems (feel free to just reply
with URLs if there are relevant docs):

 0) if there is a conflict over a name or address (that is, two parties
claim the same name or same address as each other), what resolution
mechanisms are available?

 1) have these resolution mechanisms ever been used?  If so, how did it
work out?

	--dkg