[Freedombox-discuss] Fwd: [liberationtech] Neelie Kroes launched No Disconnect Strategy with copy paste minister Karl Theodor zu Guttenberg

"Marc Manthey (macbroadcast )" marc at let.de
Mon Dec 12 23:58:33 UTC 2011

unbelivable, need to share this

Begin forwarded message:

> today EU-Commissioner Neelie Kroes launched an initiative to help net
> dissidents abroad together with the CSIS.org lobbyist Karl Theodor zu
> Guttenberg, a former German defense minister,
>
> http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/11/1525
> http://ec.europa.eu/avservices/player/streaming.cfm?type=ebsvod&sid=192684
>
> Media coverage in Germany was pretty strong as the controversial
> former
> minister zu Guttenberg still polarises the public in the aftermath of
> his phd forgery scandal, and his inappropriate late resignation.
>
> CSIS.org funding sources are undisclosed. For this project zu
> Guttenberg
> just receives travel refunds according to the EU spokesperson.
> Officially, according to Kroes spokesperson Ryan Heath CSIS is not
> behind the project, was however listed as his affiliation at the
> European Commission press conference.
>
> We had recently a discussion on accepting funds from defense
> industries,
> I would add that alleged ties may endanger dissidents who use these
> tools.
>
> --- A
>
> "The "No Disconnect strategy" will assist people in four ways:
>
>    Developing and providing technological tools to enhance privacy and
> security of people living in non-democratic regimes when using ICT.
>
>    Educating and raising awareness of activists about the
> opportunities
> and risks of ICT. In particular assisting activists to make best use
> of
> tools such as social networks and blogs while raising awareness of
> surveillance risks when communicating via ICT.
>
>    Gathering high quality intelligence about what is happening "on the
> ground" in order to monitor the level of surveillance and censorship
> at
> a given time, in a given place.
>
>    Cooperation. Developing a practical way to ensure that all
> stakeholders can share information on their activity and promote
> multilateral action and building cross-regional cooperation to protect
> human rights."
>
> If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you
> click above) next to "would you like to receive list mail batched in
> a daily digest?"
>
> You will need the user name and password you receive from the list
> moderator in monthly reminders.
>
> Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list
> moderator.
>
> Please don't forget to follow us on http://twitter.com/#!/
> Liberationtech

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231
web: http://let.de
project : http://stattfernsehen.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/macbroadcast/
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/opencu

Please think about your responsibility towards our environment: Each
printed e-mail causes about 0.3 grams of CO2 per page.