[Freedombox-discuss] Freedom box and sharism.cc

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Dec 19 06:51:28 UTC 2011

Hi Jon,

Let me please start a public discussion on the Alioth list. My goal is
to have you Jon, to introduced to Jonas and Bdale, as I see some
possible connection between the freedombox project and the hardware seen
at sharism.cc that I saw.

On 12/19/2011 01:52 PM, Jon Phillips wrote:
> Yes, how is freedombox going?

Did you know about it before?

> Has it found a business model yet?

Jonas and Bdale can talk about that better than I would.

I saw the Milkymist One hardware presentation at the last barcamp in
Shanghai. Later on, I could see and try the NanoNote. Both aren;t just
open source hardware, it looked great products, really!

Jonas and Bdale are 2 debian developers working hard on the Freedom box
project. They are currently working with a company that decided to
provide them some plug-computer hardware for free, and on which they
could last work on summer. Please see:

http://freedomboxfoundation.org/

To explain as briefly as possible the freedombox project goals, it is to
bring back freedom and privacy, and let you own the content you publish
on the internet, by storing and controling everything on the device.

The possible applications that we can foresee would be things like: tor,
file servers, social network distributed website, hosting your own site,
sharing files with your friends, chatting with them without a central
server, etc. On purpose, no feature limits are decided, so it could be
everything, since there is a huge software base in Debian.

It is my understanding that the current hardware for the freedombox
project itself isn't free/open (Jonas and Bdale, please correct me if
I'm wrong), while the Milkymist One even has an open source mips CPU.

I have no doubts that you would be capable of producing an awesome open
source plug computer, or anything else you would envision for the
freedombox project.

Cheers,

Thomas

P.S to Clement & Jon:
If you want, you can either read logs at: