[Freedombox-discuss] Wiki Engine for a DreamPlug?

kent kent at songbird.com
Tue Dec 27 03:20:04 UTC 2011

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 08:08:00 +0700, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On 11-12-26 at 04:17pm, Nick Daly wrote:
>> I'm wondering what you'd recommend for a wiki engine on the
>> DreamPlug?
>
> I recommend to avoid coding envorinments that encourage speedy and
> "sloppy" coding with little or no care for security.  I am no expert
> in
> that field, but would personally steer away from PHP, Ruby on rails
> and
> Django.

Agree...

> I recommend to aim for extreme efficiency in power concumption and
> memory use.  Without having done any actual analysis on the matter,
> it
> seems ideal to me to favor precompilation of static web pages over
> the
> extremely common rendering on-the-fly from a general-purpose
> database.

Agree also...

> Specifically, I would recommend Ikiwiki!

I would like to agree, because I like ikiwiki a lot, and it's what I
use for my personal projects almost exclusively.  But I think ikiwiki is
a piece of software that demands a certain amount of technical
sophistication, and if the intent is to have something that the average
citizen can easily use, it would be necessary to to set up a wrapper for
some canned configurations, with a larger set of themes.

> The FreedomBox Foundation uses Ikiwiki for their website.
>
> Ikiwiki comes with very few "themes" but visual style can be
> radically
> changed: http://kobenhavnsdelebiler.dk/ (Freel free to examine its
> source: http://source.delebilfonden.dk/?p=website.git;a=blob;f=README
> )

Yes, but surely we don't expect the average user to be tweaking CSS
etc?

Don't get me wrong -- I think it would be great to use ikiwiki, but it
would take some work to make it accessible to the average person, don't
you think?

I guess it depends on the use case, though.  If the intent is to
provide a standard "Freedom Box Wiki" that comes preconfigured, then it
would be great.

Kent