[Freedombox-discuss] Why is this list so quiet?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Feb 16 21:55:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 04:24:26PM -0500, Andrew Schaaf wrote:

>On Feb 16, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>> I strongly recommend to use this list for coordination more than
>> development: avoid discussing here the details of related work, but
>> instead engage with other more capable teams, and share here progress
>> on it.
>
>Are there other lists for discussing FB development, or should we make
>one?

When you are interested in JavaScript/Node/CoffeeScript, I recommend you
join the JavaScript team and try spur some interest there.

Beware, though, that that mailinglist has been semi-dead for awhile and
only recently got some new fuel when Jérémy Lal proposed using that as a
platform for team-maintaining Node.  So you might want to go on a
recruiting crusade as well, gathering some fresh people there :-)

As for your concrete question on creating more Freedombox mailinglists:
I personally find it wrong to extend Freedombox to be the platform for
_writing_ code - there is plenty of challenge already in shrinkwrapping
readily available and already Debian-packaged code, and I fear we loose
sight if take our mouth too full.  But that is just my personal opinion.
If you feel you need permission from someone to create an additional
mailinglist, ask someone else more willing than me - else just take lead
and create it yourself!

>Who's interested in discussing/doing development?

Just a clarifying question (most likely I am myself not interested
whatever the answer - I recommend joining existing teams rather than
spawn a new one):

What development are you talking about? CoffeeScript only, anything
FreedomBox (whatever that means), anything Debian, or anything Free?