[Freedombox-discuss] Roadmap proposal

Mike Warren spam at mike-warren.com
Thu Feb 17 22:08:47 UTC 2011

Ben Francis <mail at tola.me.uk> writes:

> This is interesting, I've often wondered about that. I've always
> used my own router, not the one my ISP provides me with, it would
> never even occur to me to ask my ISP's permission.  What is it they
> do exactly to prevent you using your own router or is it just that
> it would break their T&Cs? What country do you live in? Is it cable
> or some kind of DSL? Is this common for most people?

With Shaw in Canada, you have to use the NIC they provide (or, at
least, "register" the MAC of whatever one you want to use). For me,
this means cloning the MAC to my router. In that past (not sure now)
they've charged slightly more to sell/rent a router (rather than, or
in addition to, the cable modem) behind which you're "allowed" to have
more than one box.

So I think for many customers, this would effectively mean using
whatever hardware Shaw gives (sells/rents) you. Obviously, some
customers will know enough to be able to run their own router, but
that would be the exception I'd expect.

e.g.:

   http://shaw.ca/Internet/Wireless-Gateway/

   http://shaw.ca/Terms-of-Use/

      ``You may not run a server in connection with the Shaw Services
      nor may you provide network services to others via the Shaw
      Services. Examples of prohibited servers and services include
      but are not limited to mail, http, ftp, irc, dhcp servers, and
      multi-user interactive forums.''

That said, I've only ever seen scans for POP3 (!!). Obviously,
technically, a home router is usually a "dhcp server".

--
mike warren