[Freedombox-discuss] No need for new software components?

e.waelde ew.ng7125 at nassur.net
Fri Feb 18 17:26:18 UTC 2011

Hi,

discussion on this list mentions that we should rather
pack up existing bits than start programming from scratch.
See e.g. http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-February/000366.html

While I generally agree with this idea, I do believe,
that we might need some components, which I have so far
not seen mentioned here. Pointers are welcome.

In the talk of Eben Moglen at Debconf 2010, he mentiones
that we need some aggregators, which will transparently handle
messages from several sources / or to several destinations.
One example: I want to receive messages from friends of facebook
and friends on identi.ca or friends on diaspora seeds all via
one aggregator to my preferred client. My return messages will
be handled as well by the aggregator and distributed into the
respective channels.

Such I will not neccessarily notice if my online friends move away
from facebook to identi.ca, say, unless I specifically inquire the
aggregator.

I'm not aware that such pieces of software exist. But I'm not using
these networks, so I'm by no means an expert. If they exist, they
should be added to the Wiki page ...

The same reasoning can be applied to other services, obviously. Email
being a more prominent one. If I have a friend with his/her own freedom
box, of course I do not want to send email through my ISPs mail servers
but directly to the email relay on his/her FreedomBox.

Cheers,
Erich