[Freedombox-discuss] Quick self introduction

Harish Pillay 9v1hp h.pillay at ieee.org
Sat Feb 19 01:53:39 UTC 2011

I've just signed up to the mailiing list and here's a quick self-intro.

I live in Singapore and I work full-time at Red Hat Asia Pacific
and am part of the Community Architecture team within Red
Hat.  I am joining this list and the Freedom Box project as an
individual.

I first came across Free Software when I was a grad student
in Oregon State University. My department, EE/CS had
received a tape containing Emacs from FSF. This is around
1986/87. All of this precedes the public Internet and our
comms were via ARPAnet and UUCP.

What intrigued me was that here was an interesting idea of
software with full source code being given away.  I was a vi
user and mostly still am (and this is NOT the place for a editor
war :-)).

Fast forward to 1993, I helped setup the Linux Users' Group
(Singapore) which probably is one of the longest surviving
LUGs around.

My interest in signing up to Freedom Box Project is to ensure
that each and everyone of us has a unfiltered way of being
able to contact and connect with anyone. I see access to
the Internet as a fundamental human right.  To that end,
Freedom Box is a good platform to build upon.

Skills:
a) coding - I code in C and python.
d) hardware: I dabble in microcontrollers (PIC etc) and
    for the last two years, it has been the arduino
c) teaching: I have been running an annual 39-hr 3-credit
    open source elective course at a local university since
    2006. cpe802.pbworks.com has the contents.  I am
    planning on introducing Arduino into this class for
    2011.

So, where can I help with Freedom Box?
--
Harish Pillay h.pillay at ieee.org gpg id: 746809E3