[Freedombox-discuss] No need for new software components?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Feb 19 09:25:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 10:06:39AM +0100, Tom Jaster wrote:

>what i really would like to see is a mailserver consisting of MTA MDA
>and MRA in one binary relying on a couchDB storage written in
>erlang/python or something.
>As all of the parts of mailservers nowadays are running on the same
>machine, this would reduce configuration and maintenance a lot compared
>to normal mail servers.
>Using couchDB would also have the benefit of the possibillity of
>storing jabber/icq chat messages in one place where the history could
>synch with all your clients safely (I really hate the current situation
>of loosing messages or getting them to the wrong client).

Agreed: Would be awesome with a lightweight integrated messaging tool
for both push-style (i.e. email) and pull-style (i.e. Jabber).

>Sadly such sw doesnt exist until now, could be a subproject. If the
>current tools are shitty we should rahter create new ones than using
>them.

I would call it a _different_ project than FreedomBox, to not clutter
the vision.  Certainly a project highly interesting for this FreedomBox
to follow and potentially adopt the fruits of when production ready and
intgrated with Debian, but separate - like most of the marvellous ideas
on new inventions that have been raised here.

To me FreedomBox is not an invention, it is existing Freedoms in an
existing box. :-)