[Freedombox-discuss] We do need mesh networking

Amr Gharbeia amr at gharbeia.net
Sat Feb 19 11:00:06 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 11:48 +0100, Luca Dionisi wrote:
> I thought this news could be of interest for current/future
> discussions on what an effective way of circumventing centralized
> controls and censorship might be.
>
> I copied this extract from the article at this link:
> http://neosmart.net/blog/2011/as-arabia-protests-libya-blocks-internet-access/
>
> <quote>
> More importantly perhaps is the fact that the ISPs are actively
> blocking any attempts to bypass this filtering, with residents in
> Libya unable to even use the standard filtering bypass tools. We've
> been told that neither OperaTor, HideMyAss, nor HotSpotShield are
> working. Even standard PPTP VPN connections out of the country are
> being blocked.
> </quote>

I could not second this more, Luca. I am based in Cairo and throughout
the past few weeks I had FreedomBox in the back of my mind the entire
time.

Egypt is gradually changing, and the civil society and activists
collectives will be very willing to listen to and build a wifi mesh in
downtown Cairo over the coming few months.

--
Amr Gharbeia
http://gharbeia.net