[Freedombox-discuss] The message from Tahrir Square

Michael Blizek michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com
Sun Feb 20 07:15:23 UTC 2011

Hi!

I have found this email on the freedombox mailing list and guessed that you
might be interested. Do you think GNUnet can be "bent" to do something like
this?

	-Michi

P.S.: Everybody, please use group reply for this thread

On 19:16 Sat 19 Feb     , Mike Johnson wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am a college student with limited background in any open source or
> professional projects.  I have mostly just tinkered with programs on my
> laptop in my free time while in school.
>
> I wanted to take a moment to throw my two cents because I think this
> idea above all others should be the core focus of this project.
> Primarily protecting the free flow of information between the
> FreedomBoxes, and secondary protecting its flow from a low bandwidth
> area to a high one.
>
> If the network is in a state like Egypt's was, or like Lybia's is today
> the FreedomBox network can have no single exploitable weakness or
> dependency.  As the designers of this network we must assume that if a
> flaw exists it will be exploited.  I think that this is a far more
> ambitious design challenge than some may realize.
>
> Even with a wireless mesh network, we can't assume that it will be
> structured ideally.  If one area of the network connects to another in
> too few nodes all that's required to cut off access to an area is that
> they start jamming the Wifi in that one spot.  What if that one spot
> cuts off an entire city?  Worse, we cannot assume that a state such as
> this has not been watching the network for months to see who has
> FreedomBoxes and has been locating weaknesses and choke points in
> advance so that when the time comes to throw the kill switch it is done
> quickly and effectively.  If we fail at this design challenge the end
> user will not know if there is anything they can do to fix it.  They
> will not know that the only thing they may need to do to restore access
> is move one person's Box 50m to the left so it won't be jammed.  All
> that they will know is that we promised them internet access when when
> the going got tough and that they don't have it.
>
> We also have to assume that this oppressive state has read all of our
> code any knows about any bugs if there are any, knows about any exploits
> in the OS, has read all of our documentation, has read all of these
> emails, has mapped the network on any and all physical layers the box
> may operate, and that they posses the money, influence, or manpower to
> execute an attack on our network.  The success or failure of this
> project will not be judged on how good the UI looks or how well his Box
> runs one piece of software over another, it will be judged by its
> ability to provide bandwidth when the most oppressive state imaginable
> is executing a coordinated attack on the network.  The FreedomBox must
> be secure as well as dynamic.
>
> In my opinion the box needs to be a chimera of network interfaces,
> having software to operate over as many physical media as possible, be
> it Wifi, Ethernet, HAM radio, Satellite,  Dial up, whatever is possible.
>  It also needs to handle nodes being physically attacked or virtually
> attacked.  It will probably also need to prioritize content because
> [...]

programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com