[Freedombox-discuss] How to use the Freedombox

siri at jones.dk siri at jones.dk
Mon Feb 21 22:59:21 UTC 2011

Hello again,
Thanks for welcoming me, Dave, and thanks for all the useful hints! :-)

>> Do you have ideas or hints of how to interact with the box, please
>> help the design process by explaining them in plain words: If I just
>> turn it on, will it work? No?
>
> Not the first time because it will need some "set up" configuration
> from you. The information design profession has a deep understanding
> of form design which has been captured in some software to some
> extent, by eg wufoo.com and also autoconfiguration can go quite far;
> the "set up" configuration process of WordPress has become a gold
> standard I think :-)

Thanks for pointing at the field of design. My question is also meant
to encourage developers (and dreamers) to fill us in on their ideas of
the concrete content of any basic interaction.

>> What do I need to do as a user to make it help me save the World?
>
> First you need to understand why you need it, which you can learn by
> being told stories about how people like you used it to achieve
> certain goals.
>
> Authoring those usage stories is, I hope, something the Technical Lead
> that the Freedom Box Foundation website says is soon to be introduced
> will do, because knowing them is integral to contemporary software
> development.

I think that every bit of information we collect now could be useful
to any "serious" future design team.

In my opinion we can't just sit and wait for the thing to be developed
- we should take part in the development. Without trying to overrate
our importance it is my belief that designers can be valuable
contributors on a deeper level than skins and presentations, because
in order to design we need to understand; we need the developers to
answer our "stupid" questions and express their visions, which then
can spawn discussions and maybe new ideas.

> From the initial PostIt Note sized
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_story comes the full
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scenario_%28computing%29 and that's where
> someone with your skill set comes in - to create
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storyboard :-)
>
> If the storyboards are good enough, perhaps they can be presented
> directly to those user groups so such people can learn why they each
> need a Freedom Box - something like
> http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html
>
> I suggest that motion graphics is a better medium than a graphic novel.
>
> Do you have any experience with graphic novels or motion graphic design? :-)

I appreciate you asking! I did create a graphic novel in another
decade, and I would like to help present the FB concept to the World,
but since communication design is not the subject of this thread,
let's take that separately. :-)

Best regards,
Siri