[Freedombox-discuss] Diaspora Presence

James Vasile james at hackervisions.org
Thu Feb 24 21:36:03 UTC 2011

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:14:21 -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
> On 02/24/2011 04:00 PM, James Vasile wrote:
> > To completely overload on social media, we've created a Diaspora account
> > for the FreedomBox Foundation: http://bit.ly/fqkc4B
>
> Speaking of freedom, can we generally discourage the use of URL
> shorteners (yes, including those controlled by repressive regimes) on
> this list?
>
> Canonical URLs seem like the right thing for messages going into a
> permanent archive, no?

Canonical URLs are preferable, but involve additional overhead.  The
goal was to send an email to this list, Bcc it to identi.ca and thus
post here, identi.ca and twitter all at once.  As a person who does not
much use these tools, I find it burdensome to serially post the same
information to our website, an email list (or two or there), twitter,
identi.ca, facebook and diaspora.

Of course, the identi.ca gateway failed and I have yet to get the
twitter->FB gateway working, so the dream of write once, post everywhere
goes unsatisfied.

I offer bourbon and eternal gratitude to anybody who writes me a script
that does this: emailing a listserv, bulk emailing a list, blabbing on
Facebook/Diaspora/Twitter/Identi.ca, preserving long URLs where
appropriate, shortening as needed.  If my day job involved working for
anybody but Eben Moglen, he'd fire me for the office hours I'm spending
on FreedomBox.