[Freedombox-discuss] I Have Seen the Future and I Am Opposed

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul.gardner.stephen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 05:12:12 UTC 2011

Hi Tom,

It is indeed a concern that we are headed towards insurmountable
walled gardens with their disempowerment of people and concentration
of that power (wittingly or otherwise) in a very few places.

I am the guy behind ServalProject.org, and we have been beavering away
at a completely open, distributed, resilient mobile telephony platform
based on wireless mesh networking.  We already have our Serval
Distributed Numbering Architecture (Serval DNA) running on selected
Android phones and the VillageTelco.org Mesh Potato open-hardware and
open-software fixed-line telephony system, with support in the form of
a three year research fellowship from Flinders University and a team
of volunteers and students.

I am also working with Mark Pesce, NGOs and humanitarian organisations
to create open, distributed and resilient social networking tools.

Basically we have designed our protocols so that they can work without
access to the internet or any other infrastructure, but so that they
can take advantage of these things if they are available.

I am keen to help out with FreedomBox and the FreedomBox community to
help create globally scalable solutions that are interoperable so far
as is possible with the other open-source efforts that are underway in
this space.

To get an idea of what Serval is up to and willing to bring to the
table, check out:  http://blip.tv/file/4697375/

The VillageTelco.org people have already been down the design and
manufacturer open-hardware path, and would also be a great resource to
tap into.

Paul.