[Freedombox-discuss] "What's a Distributed Social Network?" -- the comic

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Fri Feb 25 18:59:52 UTC 2011

On 25 February 2011 18:03, Joshua Spodek <joshuaspodek at yahoo.com> wrote:

> "p2p social networking"
>
> I'd explain why I think it's perfect, but if it is it should stand on
> its own.

I think p2p has too many negative connotations thanks to it's primary
use as apparatus of distributing copyright material in an unauthorised
fashion. I know this isn't it's only use but for many that is where
the association lays.

Whatever word we use, and this thread has certainly been thought
provoking, I think we should stick to plain english in the first
instance and translate to other languages.

For what it's worth I favour distributed and shared. 'Personal' I
think comes into it too though at this point I'm not sure how to
encapsulate that.
There is also coalition perhaps syndicate but they have strong
political and business meaning that would not be favourable with some.
Two words could be used - distributed fellowship or dispersed
coalition for example.