[Freedombox-discuss] email recommendations?

Thomas Lord lord at emf.net
Sun Feb 27 02:40:26 UTC 2011

Listening to all of the great answers to my
questions about picking an email stack, I came
to a realization:

No matter how much we improve various admin
interfaces, no time soon are most people going to
be competent to maintain an SMTP server on their
box.

I think that some freedomboxes have to be set-up to
provide mail service for other freedombox users -
but by default a freedombox doesn't.   Freedomboxes
naturally form packs where different members of the
pack have different roles.

People have to rely on other members of their
trusted community for certain server features.

I blogged light-heartedly about this:

   http://basiscraft.com/ :: "Stepdad Can't Hack Sendmail"

and, at least partly, great minds think alike?  :-)
Anthony Papillion wrote

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-February/000664.html

I'm not done yet thinking about some of the details proposed by Anthony
but the core ideas - that freedombox users need ways to share
domains, fat pipes, hard to admin services, etc.....

I think will become very important as we go along.

-t