[Freedombox-discuss] Independent email services

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Sun Feb 27 12:19:05 UTC 2011

Am 26.02.2011 um 23:53 schrieb Matthias-Christian Ott:

> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 11:23:46PM +0100, Marc Manthey wrote:
>> Am 26.02.2011 um 23:00 schrieb Matthias-Christian Ott:
>>> Another aspect is the centralised nature of the DNS. Though there
>>> have been some ideas , I'm not aware of a working solution
>>> and I doubt that there can be a global, consistent, self-organising
>>> and anonymous DNS.
>>

>> I am very enthusiastic from  the idea of  "zeroconf
>> "(http://zeroconf.org )  and  "wide area bonjour" (
>> http://dns-sd.org/ )
>
> I haven't looked in detail into Wide-Area Bonjour, but it seems to me
> that it's just dynamic DNS updates with DNSSEC to announce services
> outside of LANs where multicast is used for service discovery.

hi Christian, all

WAB , whitch means wide area bonjour uses a modified bind dns server
todo the job

http://www.dns-sd.org/ServerSetup.html

> This is not the problem I was talking about. If you talk about
> decentralised systems, it's often mentioned that regardless what want
> to do if you rely on DNS the system becomes centralised again. That's
> somewhat true, because DNS is hierachically organised with some
> central control. So one could think about how to decentralise DNS.
>
> There have been proposals (and I'm probably not aware of all of them),
> but it seems to me none of them can provide the quality of service
> as the current DNS does. Given that you established a consistent,
> global and anonymous DNS (that's technically not unbelivable), it's
> still questionable who owns and eligable to register certain DNS
> names. Even with the current system this is a problem and registries
> have developed policies for this, but still there are disputes which
> sometimes end in a court.

Every instance  running its own DNS and share the keys with trusted
partys
you should go a bit in deepth with the link i proposed.

Another approach http://dot-p2p.org/

> I think the FreedomBox Project is primarily not about making all data
> transmission self-organising, completely anonymous and decentralised
> (which has been proposed here by some),

But It is exactly about that !!

> but merely about giving everybody as personal server which stores
> their data instead of cloud
> computing company in datacenter somewhere where you don't have
> complete control.

What would be the progress ? we have that  since centuries allready ?

> And when running your personal server at home means to that you
> have to manage DNS records, then we can't do something about it and
> freedom doesn't come without efforts.

so ? Whats your conclusion ?

cheers

Marc

P.S. apple use this technologie called " mobile me " http://me.com
private DNS as a payed service for  xx $ per year

--
Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97