[Freedombox-discuss] imap <-> http proxy? was Re: email recommendations?

Thomas Lord lord at emf.net
Sun Feb 27 20:37:13 UTC 2011

Matt Willsher, thanks for such a helpful message.

I have questions about web-based MUAs.

Background:

You wrote:

> Postfix or Exim, Spam assassin, ClamAV, Dovecot  is a pretty standard
> and well proven stack.

[...]

> Web MUA is, as you say, somewhat open to argument. I personally like
> roundcube.

>From what I see from the docs so far, Dovecot looks
like a win to me.  I'm envisioning one form of the box
in which users *don't* run their own SMTP server but
do keep their own mailbox.    Incrementally migrating
an Imap mailbox from "elsewhere" is easy enough.
Dovecot looks solid, flexible, and easy to admin.
I'm tentatively sold although we'll see what happens
when I try to build on it :-)

Web MUA Questions:

Are there (that you know of) any Web MUAs that, by design,
more "API-centric"?   In other words, any where the
design of the client-side code is not tightly coupled to
the server-side?   Where the main thing that the server
offers is an (aims to be) stable API against which
1,000 client-side applications might bloom (so to speak)?
(Roundcube doesn't look so, to me.)

Also, any sense of which (viable) web-based MUAs have
very low amounts of server-side software dependencies
and resource needs?    I think that (for reading) just a
literal imap <-> http proxy on the server is probably
too simple (too much burden on the javascript code) - but
how close does it come?

-t