[Freedombox-discuss] Other project: PirateBox

David Darts daviddarts at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 03:09:02 UTC 2011

Hey Gus,

Thanks for sharing the project with the list. Under the hood, the
system is running Debian Squeeze - which seems to perform very well on
the Seagate Dockstar. Along with the PirateBox project, I've also been
experimenting with running the Dockstar as an OpenVPN server, torrent
client, media server, etc. The Dockstar is a great device to hack as
it is relatively inexpensive (usually under $50 - sometimes as low as
$20) and has four powered USB ports (the top port is designed to mate
with the Seagate FreeAgent drive).

If you're interested, you can read a bit more about my adventures
using Debian on the Dockstar here:
http://wiki.daviddarts.com/Debian_on_the_Seagate_Dockstar and here:
http://wiki.daviddarts.com/Debian_on_the_Seagate_Dockstar_Post-Installation

Also, Jeff Doozan's forum is a great resource: http://forum.doozan.com