[Freedombox-discuss] Relationship driven privacy

Mike Macgirvin mike at macgirvin.com
Mon Jul 4 14:21:42 UTC 2011

Friendika was mentioned in this thread but in a different context, so I
wanted to point out what we do for profile personas. There may be some
ideas you can use. It's a distributed system, but has multiple profiles.
You can tailor any profile for any person or group of people.

There is a default public profile. You can make this as sparse as you
wish. Maybe just your name and what country you live in.

Then you can add richer information specifically for different friends
or groups. Some people might be able to see your email address. Others
might be able to see your hobbies. Bu rather than control visibility of
individual profile fields, you can instead build complete profiles
specific to any audience - and have completely different contents in any
of the fields - if you wish. To the ladies you can be a jet pilot, while
your co-workers will see the truth. You can also clone any existing
profile if you only want to change one thing for a particular audience
but leave the rest the same.

We make these available to individuals due to DFRN's authentication
scheme. It's a dual-authenticated PKI exchange which establishes the
identity of both sides of the communication stream - and in the case of
profiles can then issue a browser cookie giving you a 'visitor id',
which gives you certain rights on the remote system. You can post to
your contact's profile wall and leave comments there, you can view
private photos, and you can be assigned a profile specific to you.

(No other distributed social service has these abilities that I'm aware
of.)

There are no password challenges between sites. No OAuth crap. All the
visitor does is click on a profile link, and they are taken to the
correct profile that they are allowed to see. Any failures in
authentication take them to the default profile.

It's a pretty slick system.