[Freedombox-discuss] Relationship driven privacy

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Wed Jul 6 18:43:04 UTC 2011

>> Um... keysingings?
>> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Key_signing_party
>> Not that they're particularly user-friendly :-(
>
> Keysigning parties work well, but if pseudanonymity is your goal you'll
> have to either accept a much lower trust rating from everyone there
> because you won't produce ID, or you'll have to sit it out.

Obviously a keysigning "party" is not
appropriate for people who want to be
anonymous.  But I don't see why, if you've
verified a claimed identity in some other
reasonable sense you cannot sign someone's
key even if its pseudonymous.

For example, a public activist now living in a
free country might want to indicate trust of a
pseudonymous source living under a brutal
regime, and this public activist might want to
convey the existence of such trust to news
media / bloggers, etc. without compromising
the source's true identity.  That way the various
parties could distinguish communiques from
that source vs. the regime's disinformation
even if the original public activist is assassinated.

Tony