[Freedombox-discuss] Establishing Communication between Freedomboxes

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Thu Jul 7 17:45:33 UTC 2011

On Jul 7, 2011, at 6:43 PM, ian at churchkey.org wrote:

> On 07/07/2011 11:39 AM, Ted Smith wrote:
>> As such, I don't see why a fully distributed system, where each node
>> detects spam and does not relay it, wouldn't suffice in any case.
>> There
>> is no reason for the power of deciding which messages are malicious
>> and
>> which aren't to be concentrated in one central place -- it can be
>> returned to its source, the people, with no ill effect.
>>
>> This is, of course, a purely effects-centric argument --
>> personally, as
>> someone who sometimes falls outside of the community norms, I don't
>> want
>> to see anyone or anything empowered to "enforce" said norms more than
>> they already are. As Richard Stallman says, freedom is the most
>> important feature, and a centralized system can be rejected just
>> because
>> it is centralized. I'd gladly pay for my freedom in a few unwanted
>> messages that consume 30 seconds of my daily time.
>
> As I said to dkg's point:
>
>>> When in doubt, we should avoid infrastructure with this kind of
>>> centralized leverage.  too much centralized power already exists
>>> in the
>>> non-freedombox world.  Let's not replicate those mistakes.
>>
>> Agreed, but let's also not overlook the problems solved by a
>> centralized
>> architecture as we move away from that centralization. I would love
>> hear some more about how we can publish identity and machine contact
>> information through either the keyservers or dht, and particularly
>> about
>> how to protect such contact routes from abuse by SPAMers and other
>> forms
>> of contact abuse.
>
> If you feel that SPAM and other forms of contact abuse are solved
> problems, that's great and I would love to hear about how we can
> implement those solutions on the FreedomBox. If the Dynamic DNS based
> public directory I proposed is particularly troubling to you,
> perhaps we
> could focus on how that is different from DNS itself, the gpg
> keyservers, or even the Debian mirror system. If there are problematic
> differences, maybe we can mitigate them technically, perhaps by
> implementing signed updates like the keyservers, or at least use the
> discussion to move towards a preferable architecture.

Your right Spam is allways a problem and i believe there is no 100%
whateversafe method or
solution ,but we still use mail in 2011 , even if 78% of the worldwide
mail traffic is spam http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spam

But back to the topic

If i understand this correctly , B.A.T.M.A.N. (Better Approach To
Mobile Adhoc Networking) or http://wiki.hacdc.org/index.php/Byzantium
seems the routing protocol  of  choice  for the freedombox  http://www.open-mesh.org/

http://lists.freedomboxfoundation.org/s/arc/tac/2011-07/msg00000.html

so the DNS thingy .......
----------------

The other obvious internet-is-down thing is using Bonjour to
announce different services that are locally available - Jabber and
Bonjour allow for node to node chatting - thus voice and video calls
without asterisk stuff, etc. In theory Bonjour can advertise lots of
different services but in practice, it's doubtful to be used unless it's
built into the end user's OS.

I believe it would not be much work to integrate it because its just a
modified bind server.

A  buddy is working on  https://github.com/andrewtj/dnsxd  whitch does
all we need, its just erlang :)

or Avahi http://avahi.org/  needs some work to be able to use wide
area bonjour
someone told me in 2009 that the patch for wide area bonjour is in the
repository , but i think there are political reasons

http://lists.apple.com/archives/bonjour-dev/2010/Oct/msg00012.html

greetings

Marc

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231