[Freedombox-discuss] Relationship driven privacy

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Jul 8 08:32:45 UTC 2011

On 11-07-08 at 02:50pm, John Walsh wrote:
> At connection time, I should be allowed to opt-in to having my name
> published by a friend - it is my identity after all.
>
> I was also reminded about what I consider a major privacy flaw in all
> social networks. When you post to your wall you are posting to friends
> of your friends - you have no control over who sees your message on a
> friends wall.

[snip]

> Another wish of mine, would be that for each profile you can define
> your messages/content maximum degree of separation from you.

I recommend to pass such ideas (preferrably backed by code, obviously)
to the [group] that develops interoperability standards for federated
social networks!

Last month was a coordination [meeting] in Berlin ([videos] available
for some parts), and a few days ago a [follow-up mail] seems to touch
this very issue (point #3).

I believe discussing implementation details with the folks actually
implementing is much more productive than doing it here ;-)

 - Jonas

[group]: http://federatedsocialweb.net/

[meeting]: http://d-cent.org/fsw2011/

[videos]: http://d-cent.org/fsw2011/videos/