[Freedombox-discuss] Friendika

Mike Macgirvin mike at macgirvin.com
Wed Jul 13 11:09:18 UTC 2011

>> This looks like an interesting approach.  Has anybody used it/hacked
>> it/loved it/hated it?  Is this something you want to see in the
>> FreedomBox?
>>
>> http://project.friendika.com/
> There are many other projects like it and a W3C incubator for standardization of federation protocols:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/Platforms
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/

I wrote Friendika initially so I'm a bit biased.

The W3C incubator is completely dominated by OStatus and a couple of
people clamouring for WebID. OStatus has no privacy (really, none) and
the major players are only beginning to discuss this shortcoming. WebID
is an SSL infrastructure - which solves privacy issues at a cost of
everybody being accountable to an SSL signing authority. There are other
lesser technical issues, but this is the elephant in the room.

You are welcome to chase the W3C, but it will be a long time before you
see anything that provides secure communication, and when you do - you
will know that it was designed by committee. Might as well just use SMTP
and be done with it.

Diaspora has gone it alone and developed their own privacy layer - as
have we. We're currently developing a second generation private
messaging and remote access protocol (called "Zot!") drawing from our
real world experience with cross-network communications. It is public
domain.

I don't believe for a minute that Friendika will solve the Fredombox's
unique requirements, especially since we are somewhat tied to existing
infrastructure at the network layers. However our technology is open to
all and we believe strongly in many Freedombox concepts - privacy,
security, decentralisation. You may find something within the project
that you can use. As I follow these discussions, I'll be sure to speak
up if we already have a solution to a problem you're facing, or
especially if we chose a different solution than you because we got
bitten in the butt trying it your way.