[Freedombox-discuss] Friendika

Mike Macgirvin mike at macgirvin.com
Wed Jul 13 21:32:34 UTC 2011

On 14/07/2011 12:03 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> W3C is around to make sure everyone plays fairly, and everyone gets a
> say.  OStatus are there because they have made an effort and have
> implementations.  Zot can be too.  Facebook recently joined the W3C,
> too and google have been a member for a while.

I'm in the W3C Incubator group - as a "read-only" participant. Friendika
has been federating the social web more than anybody.

In fact I was muzzled on the original federated social web group because
of my vocal opposition to the FSW *mandating* the acceptance of
unsolicited communications - e.g. SPAM. Not much collaboration can
happen when you get shut out of the process for speaking up against lunacy.

I'll federate with whatever emerges - but so far all I have to work with
is an insecure spammy protocol which you can't get anywhere near private
messages - as it is publicly broadcast. We do our best to support it
despite these fundamental flaws.