[Freedombox-discuss] Working Groups and commercial tools

Isaac Wilder isaac at freenetworkmovement.org
Thu Jul 14 20:11:40 UTC 2011

On 07/14/2011 03:28 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On 11-07-14 at 08:43am, James Vasile wrote:
>> There are two questions here. First, what working groups should we
>> form. Second, how shall those groups operate? I think if we answer
>> the first, each group can answer the second on its own. I'm happy to
>> arrange hosted infrastructure to the extent debian.org or github don't
>> suit.
I think that the working groups suggested by Sébastien make quite a
bit of sense, with the addition of a group for thinking about
connectivity. I've labelled according to where I see these falling in
the OSI stack, but I think that's of less importance - there is sure
to be spillover from layer to layer.

So then, the five groups could be:
0) Connectivity (Physical/Link/Network Layer)
1) Privacy (Transport/Session/Presentation Layer)
2) Data Ownership (Application)
3) Social (Application)
4) UI/UX

How much separation do people see between the data ownership and
social bits of the box? I see them both working mostly in the
application layer, and I wonder if we should be trying to engage in
integrative thinking there.

We might also consider a designated security group.

Otherwise, does this breakdown seem reasonable to others?

> Makes sense to leave it to each group how they operate. But please
> think twice before choosing cool-but-commercially-controlled tools at
> github or Google or Ubuntu or wherever: It might be fine initially with
> everyone in the group, but may discourage later contributions to that
> group from some of the careful/paranoid among us (myself included).

+1
Very much agreed.
I also much agree that an instance of etherpad would be quite useful.

take care,
imw