[Freedombox-discuss] is a distributed search engine (e.g. YaCy) to be part of the FB package?

nathan nolast nathan1465 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 16:32:22 UTC 2011

I think some points we are missing ...

There is a search engine out that is offering some privacy advantages
http://www.ddg.gg    or duckduckgo.com

but more importantly, we will need to debate a topic that has been bounced
around in other similar projects;  a search engine that will not only index
our user published privacy/anonymous aware sites and material, as well as
tor/i2p/freenet sites. The reason why i bring this up is, there was a big
debate is some of the larger anonymous/privacy concerned projects, including
TOR about having an internal search indexing service.. and the general
consensus was that the ability for sites to not be found on a search engine
is a benefit, not a flaw. Not just the idea, but the request that some
sites, their users, and content providers of these sites dont wont to be
found, don't want to be indexed, and dont want to be identified.

Plausible solution, i'll skip the debate because ive seen this discussion a
few times.

TLD's for users to use that are not indexed.   like a mysite.pvy (insert any
fashionalbe TLD ..)

might i add that the key to freedombox's success is not just the basic Fbox
platform, but the protocols and more importantly its network and
infrastructure of which users can contribute to in the form of relays/ exit
nodes / ect ect. mesh/darknet / Freedomnet

let us remember that alot of the services users are ranting and raving over
to be included in the Fbox are web based services and include a way to host
these services by themselves on their computer on the existing network,
therefore as mentioned a thousands times, the incentive for a user to buy a
plugSERVER (might we make a distinction between a plug computer and server)
to run services that are already available on our existing censorship driven
infrastructure is little.

why would i buy a plugserver for 100-150 USD to host a diaspora plug, xmpp
chat services, irc chat, visit tor sites, take place in friendika, or any
other number or set of the most debated services when i already can on my
own computer.

Thank you for your time
~Nathan
nathan1465 at gmail.com