[Freedombox-discuss] VOIP application layer

ya knygar knygar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 03:17:48 UTC 2011

i think - http://www.w3.org/2011/04/webrtc-charter.html
(http://webrtc.org) and related working groups
are best for  VOIP, Video over IP and whatever media over IP P2P
communications,
their propositions are evolving rapidly and in overall -
these systems - we may create - are needed anyway,
so - better to start earlier than later with some Freedom browser like
a Tor bundle but - for everyday use as it would be created anyway,
better if sooner and with help with FreedomBox community,

i think - by creating some Freedom browser, we may
help the people on:
1. everyday needs of Leaving the Cloud by non-providing info
to, may i say, cloud tracking systems.
2. same needs for systems that won't be FreedomBox as back-ends.
3. mobile systems that will, probably, continue to be massively used, still,
probably, would
never - include the FreedomBox, like - Android, for example.
4. include a proper front-end for FreedomBox remote operation.
5. other benefits - you could imagine
6. maybe, even, introducing the Tor exit nodes in it, by that -
massively used system.

we may additionally succeed in:
1. nice promotion of that - what we are doing, as FreedomBox community is -
what people could use "right here", without money or tech knowledge.
2. advert the quality of the overall system by making the best
usability with browser,
it may be the best promotion by afford-to-effect value as everybody
could use it on almost
every system (well, except some mobile one's but these - which don't
would, probably come to view
as so closed and controlled-from-corporation  that they  won't be a
good example, anyway)
3. some other benefits like a focus from start on web systems as the
most used and perspective.

by leaving the whole Security and Privacy to "lower" level of FBoxes
- user won't have the needed control on "upper cases" like cookies,
referrers, spyware and
other dangers - OOTB, by that it introduces an undesired steep
learning curve, with all the existing
browser solutions, for people to defend their freedom
on every day basis.

I propose to use the existent Mozilla's system as the most advanced on
the topic, on do-not-track privacy and
as - already successful in Tor project. Also i think - that browser
could eventually replace the
everyday used IceCat for freedom-respecting users.