[Freedombox-discuss] VOIP application layer

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Tue Jul 19 08:44:29 UTC 2011

morning all,

i have checked "webrtc" a bit closer, its a  great, complex and  well
documented project.

https://sites.google.com/site/webrtc/reference/webrtc-components

The interesting part is the VP8 de/encoder whitch is developed from
On2 and aquired from google
in 2010. it seems to be a very close competitor of H264 , whitch isnt
licence free and i believe youtube
will turn into VP8 in the future, so they dont have to pay H264
royalitys or licences.

What webrtc not does, is taking away the complexitiy of sip/stun and
all this NAT hole punching.

Right now we are in a state of transition from ipv4 to ipv6. So do we
really need NAT punching in the future
when we all have ipv6 ? IMHO NAT is not mandatory in ipv6 , so when
nothing is going wrong we have
end-to-end connenctivity in the near future. So why we need all this
NAT /SIP/STUN / punching stuff ?

have a nice day

Marc

> the only other thing that will be needed is a "friends-to-IP-address-
> and-port" registration / resolver system.

Thats what wide area bonjour does IMHO  http://www.dns-sd.org/ServiceTypes.html

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231