[Freedombox-discuss] Working Groups and commercial tools

bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org
Tue Jul 19 18:27:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:01:56PM -0400, James Vasile wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:40:38 +0200, bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org wrote:
> > >
> > > Makes sense to leave it to each group how they operate.  But please
> > > think twice before choosing cool-but-commercially-controlled tools at
> > > github or Google or Ubuntu or wherever: It might be fine initially with
> > > everyone in the group, but may discourage later contributions to that
> > > group from some of the careful/paranoid among us (myself included).
> >
> > +1
> >
> > I don't use github, and the FreedomBox project might gain in visibility by
> > having its own git hosting. Projects related to this one would all be in
> > one place, easy to find, rather than spread everywhere. Might be alioth'
> > git hosting, but it requires to have access to it.
>
> For all the obvious reasons, we prefer our own services where we can.
> We use this Debian mailing list and the wiki.  Our blog planet
> <http://planeteria.org/freedombox> is via a site I created (the
> planeteria.org web server is configured not to keep logs).
>
> Still, Eben and Ian and I decided at the start to rely on existing
> services to lighten our load.  We use universal subtitles for subtitling
> our videos and another service for translating our wiki.  We spread the
> word on Diaspora (when it's up) and identi.ca (and even Facebook and
> Twitter).  I personally use git hub for other things I work on.
>
> I'll leave it to people to decide for themselves where they want to post
> their own code.  The Foundation might well host its own, but we haven't
> discussed it internally much.  Alioth might be the right answer for the
> Foundation.

Thinking about it, alioth might be the right place. I just hope it
wouldn't put too much burden on the alioth team, but should be fine.

> As for collecting git repos in one place, I think the wiki might be a
> good place for linking to such.  I can put a link from the Foundation
> website to make it easier to find.
>
> If you still crave git hosting in a central place and want to spearhead
> creating and maintaining that place, I'm happy to let you use the
> Foundation to house it.

Sure if this solution is preferred, I'd be glad to help in setting
up/maintaining such a service.

bert.

P.S: big up for the work you made today james, and have good holidays. :)