[Freedombox-discuss] Working Groups

John Walsh fiftyfour at waldevin.com
Wed Jul 20 04:48:31 UTC 2011

Hi James,

I am not proposing any new groups, but my comments below have suggested some
additional goals and shifting some goals between the groups.

> ## UI / UX / HID
+1 to help. At this stage it's a see how she goes commitment because I'm not
sure if I can contribute, but happy to test at a later date.

> ## Peer Model
>
> The FreedomBox has social built in to the stack at a low
> level.  What that means is that it has a concept of who it
> (and its users) are interacting with.  That knowledge should
> be available across the device and allow the user to treat
> all interaction with people or groups of people in
> context-sensitive ways.  That means the FreedomBox will need
> a way to store and organize information about peers (both
> boxes and users on those boxes).  It will also have to make
> that information available to the applications on the
> FreedomBox, including existing applications with their own
> user models.  Finally, information interchange between
> FreedomBoxes will sometimes include data stored in the peer
> model.  What are the concerns about this interchange and what
> steps should we take to do this interchange while protecting
> security, privacy and anonymity?

I think the security group should be responsible for encrypting and
anonymising the user data/ data interchange because I see these as security
protocols. Similarly, I think this group should be responible for defining
identity (users), but the security group should define the protocols that
bind that identity to a public key to verify the identity. Now, I'm a user
so maybe it's not possible to separate these two layers, but I think
identity and privacy (look at Facebooks settings) alone are going to be
tough nuts to crack.

> This Working Group will recommend a peer model and ways to
> integrate that model into applications, both new and existing
> and also to exchange data with other boxes.  It will possibly
> develop software to implement its recommendations.
>
> This Working Group can assume that data interchange will take
> place over protocols selected or developed by the Network
> Protocols Working Group.  This group should not develop protocols.
+1 to help. This group is my favourite.

> ## Social and Applications
I would like this group to have a goal to separate data from the
applications, i.e. data can be easily exported to other applications using
open file formats. I would also like to see a goal of one click update for
all installed applications, i.e. applications that upgrade on the fly as
opposed to requiring a full install each time.

> ## Security
> ### Goals
>
>  * Allow as much communication as possible while protecting security,
>    privacy, and anonymity.
I think Privacy settings should be the responsibility of the Peer Model
Group. Identity Key management should also be the responsibility of this
group. I hope this group can at least encrypt everything and anonymise when
possible. Is this group going to be responsible for firewalls, anti-virus,
anti-spam, anti-malware apps?

> ## Documentation
+1 to help with user docs only. Happy to document my UX testing.

> ## Platform Group
Similar to apps group I hope there is a goal for one click platform update
like TonidoPlug.