[Freedombox-discuss] NAME issue!

ya knygar knygar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 08:03:59 UTC 2011

> I don't really care what you call it, but at the back of my mind I can't
> help thinking that the FreedomBox name scares everyday people into thinking
> that FreedomBox is for Freedom Fighters only. I want everybody to have own.

I think Freedom in the name is very important,
for me - it is a Freedom or not, will i fight personally,
or vote for these who will.

However - "Box" or not, it may be a question of what
we actually name with it.
If we use as a client - by accessing the sites
from browser - and these sites are hosted in FreedomBox network,
better to call the project - FreedomHost or FreedomCommunications :)

 another good kind is a naming scheme like fPhone, fPlug, and fCloud.

And leave "FreedomBox"'s for these tiny plug boxes.
But - if these boxes is the essential product of Foundation,
and we - all - believe that by buying the FreedomBox for 200$
and paying the Internet for it - will help the Freedom in the worlds,
ofc - it's a good name and if compared with a nice price and
the simple scheme like a map where to buy the plug and
a site where to download the button to firmware it, simply and
for everyone - it could be real - either.

But -when ideas like/by FBox would evolve into packages for Linuxes and FreeBSD,
for Macs and Win's, for mobiles, mobile os's, as an embedded soft for
fridges and
TV's etc. - "Box" could be too heavy.

What the good side i see now in FreedomBox is -
people believe that it's "real"  because of the Debian brand around,
they gather here and try to contribute to Freedom
as they see it.
What's the bad - if it will remain only Debian,
there will be other FBox like Fedora's, for example,
that could lead into wasting of time and other resources.

I think - the best place to make the HQ is -   GNU, FSF or Linux Foundation,
as the only - known and respected as a Freedom "Fighters".

-
actually,
I'm not proposing the change of name - just say
that without a short name it isn't cool work with.
It means  - without fbx.net it's a pain to enter the URL.
But, fbx.net is taken, fbx.org either.
FB - is you know what,
FBF's are taken
and FBN isn't cool :/

so +1 Robert - it's a very important time to think.

PS:
My conclusion is  - people here, in overall
not because they trust Eben Moglen or other professionals on TAC,
 i doubt that majority have talked to him or even saw his talk.

I think  it's a place where people discuss the Freedom sustaining systems -
because of the Freedom in the name,
not because of the Debian or other project reputation.