[Freedombox-discuss] Building from the bottom up, using automated tests

Abhishek Dasgupta abhidg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 15:43:48 UTC 2011

On 20 July 2011 13:23, Lars Wirzenius <liw at liw.fi> wrote:
[...]
> If we do want to do the test driven stuff, in the first iteration,
> we should generate an image that provides no services, but passes the
> tests for the base install. In further iterations, we can start adding
> services (such as Samba for NAS functionality, or Apache+ikiwiki for a
> wiki/blog instance, etc). However, before iterating further, I would
> like to write the missing tools so that we can, with a single command,
> perhaps run from cron or incron, generate and test an image.

Automatically testing images would require some sort of VM solution to
be agreed upon, wouldn't it?

This approach is interesting, not only because of the testing, but
also because this type of thing could be made to grow up into a
pingdom type self-hosted service, doing automated checks on FBXes at
remote locations. At present, I manually check my server by pinging,
or checking if the webpage loads. This kind of service would help
alert people that say, apache is working but some upgrade borked file
sharing over samba.

Abhishek