[Freedombox-discuss] http://politics.slashdot.org/story/11/07/18/0153204/Security-Consultants-Wa rn-About-PROTECT-IP-Act

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at pagekite.net
Thu Jul 21 12:01:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM, James Vasile <
vasile at freedomboxfoundation.org> wrote:

> > Maybe the first todo in this direction would be to setup an organisation
> > (or use the freedomboxfoundation.org?), who's members would be well
> known
> > "privacy concerned" people/organisations, that would register a domain.
> > Then think about a way to do this service in a privacy aware way.
>
> Dynamic DNS run by a freedom loving group sounds great. I'd use it.  It
> also sounds like a whole separate project in addition to the FreedomBox.
> I'm not going to tackle that any time soon, but I'd certainly cooperate
> with anybody who does.

Would it make sense for the Foundation to own a domain (freedomboxes.org or
something like that) and hand out subdomains for dynamic DNS usage, but
delegate running the service to someone helpful?  If people make sure the
user lists are regularly exported to the Foundation for "escrow" or some
such, then it would be possible to switch providers as necessary.

I am already running a globally distributed dynamic DNS for PageKite (based
on redis, python glue and PowerDNS), I would be quite willing to donate
resources to help out with this, especially during the early stages while
traffic can be expected to be low/moderate.

I'm sure others would be willing to help as well. :-)

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.

Make localhost servers visible to the world: http://pagekite.net/