[Freedombox-discuss] http://politics.slashdot.org/story/11/07/18/0153204/Security-Consultants-Wa rn-About-PROTECT-IP-Act

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Jul 21 14:54:30 UTC 2011

On 07/21/2011 04:21 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> thus it's not going to materialise out of thin air
> unless someone's paid to work on it.  unless you're extremely lucky.
>
> [...] get the f*****g software written -
> the debian packaging takes care of itself.

Gratuitous expletives aside, this is a curious juxtaposition.  Just
where do you think solid debian packaging comes from?

We want good debian packages because debian policy maintains reasonable
technical functionality and cross-tool compatibility, and protects user
and developer freedom.  This takes work.  People volunteer to do this
work, or people get paid to do this work.  None of it "takes care of
itself".

This is my last message on this thread.

	--dkg