[Freedombox-discuss] Simple way to help out here and now very concretely

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jul 26 09:06:44 UTC 2011

On 11-07-25 at 09:01pm, Craig Barnes wrote:
> On 24 July 2011 23:54, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>
> > On 11-07-24 at 11:11pm, Craig Barnes wrote:
> > > Would love to start playing with various packages, but am not sure
> > > if I am wasting my time without a plug at my disposal.
> > >
> > > If someone could point me in the right direction for getting
> > > started, I'd happily add my learning experience to the wiki to
> > > give other Freedom-Box contributor newbies a leg up.
> >
> > One quite valuable thing you can do is to propose concrete Debian
> > packages + any needed configfile customizations.  This does not need
> > a plug device, just any computer running Debian Linux.
> >
> > More info here (and other posts in same thread):
> >

> > http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2010-October/000164.html
> >
> > Thank you Jonas,
>
> I have a spare box that I will be using to tinker with.  What kind of
> config changes should I be looking at, just software operational with
> sane defaults?

Yes.

As an example of Jabber service + web-based Jabber client:

Packages: prosody jwchat apache2-mpm-worker

Configs: (attached)

Commands:

# TODO: put in postinst of new jwchat-enhancing package bosch-support
a2enmod proxy_http rewrite

# TODO: use debconf preseeding of jwchat (see bug#635281)
# FIXME: use actual hostname, and update when hostname is updated
# TODO: add trigger script updating when system hostname changes
ln -s ../../jwchat/apache2.conf /etc/apache2/conf.d/jwchat.conf
perl -i -pe 's/^(var\s+SITENAME\s+=\s+)"[^"]*"/$1"freedombox.local"/' /etc/jwchat/config.js

I hope later today to have upgraded [boxer] to actually work, and make
use of config snippets.

 - Jonas

[boxer]: http://git.emdebian.org/?p=upstream/boxer.git;a=blob;f=README