[Freedombox-discuss] Minimal spec for NAS?

Lars Wirzenius liw at liw.fi
Thu Jun 9 17:17:28 UTC 2011

To continue my previous mail about Freedombox-NAS, and to keep everyone
in the loop of what I'm doing, here's what I've settled on doing for
the _first_ iteration:

* I'll use vmdebootstrap to generate an i386 image
* the image can be written on a smallish USB stick and a PC can be
  booted off the stick
* the image will mount any partitions it finds at startup, which
  have a directory called `sharebox` at the root of the filesystem
* all such directories get shared read/write to the world over Samba,
  also for guest users
* no handling of USB devices being added at runtime
* no configuration
* the system will also accept ssh logins using a known user and
  password

This is, obviously, inadequate on many levels, but the purpose
is to get something working, and then fix problems in that, rather
than trying to get something perfect up and running immediately.
Baby steps and all that.

Further, I'll use my fledgling systest tool to verify that the
intended functionality of the image works. Test driven distro
development, if you wish. (This will let me get some real
experience with these tools, and the opportunity to fix any
problems that prevent them from being used.)

--
Freedom-based blog/wiki/web hosting: http://www.branchable.com/